Friday 6 September 2013

somewhereto_start renovating an empty shop.

After a busy morning of software fighting with me, important meetings and my volunteer colleagues either being in lectures, fighting estate agents or being off out earning the bacons, its now another day here at 4 Northgate Street and its all hands on deck once again. We have more sets of hands this afternoon! In the form of Simon, the boss, regional delivery partner for somewhereto_ and Morgan, another volunteer, often in a tweed jacket and from what I understand, a talented musician. I've created an office area for myself, I have a desk and I feel very important doing my work, advertisement (aka spamming.) and blogging, once again flaking on the hard labour whilst remaining non- sweaty and clean. My complaints are minimal! Said desk is in the shop window, I'm getting repetitive double takes and strange looks for sitting typing away on my iPad in a seemingly abandoned shop. I am however, completely okay with this.

It's over whelming to say the least and what we're faced with seems like it's going to be an up hill struggle. Yesterday all holes were filled - literally filled at least a hundred holes in the walls up - and today the walls are being sanded down to an acceptable smoothness that paint will happily sit upon. Simon has lovingly brought over some sofas, bean bags and most importantly, some plants. Including a Japanese peace lily to brighten up the space, I've contributed by blowing up a couple of Arad Goch's balloons, it's the least I can do to brighten the place up a bit, who doesn't love balloons?!

Here he is then, our little slice of creative freedom and realm of possibility. This is the place that will be providing young people throughout aber a chance to show case their talents / passions and we're the team making it presentable. I think today is an exciting day and that there are many exciting days ahead of us!


                  

Arguably, yes a bit of a mess at the moment! But as with everything in this life it's a work in progress! Had our first official booking today, a dance music DJ set has been penciled in and I am expecting exciting things from the two boys who've signed up there. Keep checking this blog for profiles on everyone who gets involved with somewhereto_ re:store [The High Street Heist] I'll even be shamelessly plugging my own works but this blog does allow me somewhereto_ do so!

Curiously, as I typed this blog much hoovering and tidying has been completed, they haven't however felt the need to clean around my area, I suppose whilst I slave away on journalism they feel as though I should do my own cleaning. It's Friday, and thus far my evening consists of a take away meal for one (I foolishly decided to live alone) and sketching ideas for the shop. Committed volunteers here at somewhereto_

I concur this to be a sufficient update, but with the fast pace movement of this renovation I shall no doubt return to my make shift office soon. I'll leave you with this lovely capture of Kyle and Bazza, my boys!






No comments:

Post a Comment